hairbrained

New Year. New Hb! 1.1.2016 Setup Your Profile Today!

Precision versus for lack of a better term "salon reality"

So this is a serious question that I have been mulling over in my head for a couple of years and this morning I decided to ask you guys.

So I am a OG Hair Nerd and have studied most if not all if the Haircutting styles out there. I can't say tht u have mastered anyone that would take many life times but I can say that I have learned enough to be dangerous.

Anyhow when you narrow everything down you can almost categorize everything into 2 categories, precision and for lack if a better term "salon friendly".

Precision being a style that is optimized by the Sassoon school of thought, which might take a very long time to execute a hair cut. However is very rewarding to the hairdresser.

And "salon friendly" which is quick techniques that can execute a hair cut in 10-15 min with an on outcome that is not super rewarding to the hairdresser but gets the job done.

In the salon the client doesn't care what sort if style you choose they are more concerned with suitability if the end result.

So my question is why choose one style over the other? I know what direction I tend to lead towards but I am trying to gain a different perspective.

Views: 1394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found this great video few months ago. I like to use this technique on long hair, very fast and accurate. Great combination of geometric and soft shape. Thank you Alan Benfield Bush for this great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXGEwJvz54

I think that we all take shortcuts, however when we do, we do so only with applied knowledge.......case in point......you want a shorter to longer flow of bulk from the rear center panel of the head, flowing out to the corners...............ok, SOOOO....you've got two choices, and I'm speaking very broadly here.......you can start in the middle, work your panels on both sides to center, overdirecting as you do so.......OR......if the hair density and length allows for it, just grab that baby on both sides, bring everything into the middle as accurately and tightly as you can, and cut.........why?.....because you are supposedly confident enough after "x" number of years in the business to do so and know the end result, and within that, of course, you know the laws that govern flow of the hair........now, that being said, hopefully, yes, you are at some point going to go in and tweak it, perhaps with some dry cutting and personalizing toward the end, but the point of the matter is that you have made a conscientious decision to cut some steps, but only within the framework of doing so based on knowledge , experience and confidence level..........I am neither condoning or not condoning doing any of this, but the fact of the matter is that we all do it as circumstances dictate....maybe not for every haircut that applies to that category....lots of variables....how is your time running, can you get away with it on this head, or not,....lots and lots of variables........in the end run, hopefully you always have the clients best interest in mind as to an amicable and great looking (plus functional) end result.....

Makes sense to me Tony.

I'm thinking the answer to this question really matters on what stage of your career are you at, and the type of client list you have. If you work at a Chain salon or a low to middle ranged price salon where high volume and quick times are the norm and the customers just want's a quick cut and be in and out quickly, then so be it. But if you have a client list that is paying you good money for a precise cut and they are willing to spend the time in the chair and expect you to spend the time making it just right, then be as precise as you want. It doesn't make sense for someone to go into a Supercuts pay 12 bucks and expect the Stylists to work for an hour on their hair. Someone is not going to go into a high end salon and expect or want a 4 minute clipper cut while shelling out 60 bucks.

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but that's my take on it.

I don't think that precision = perfect cut.. Nor do I think that random hacking into a head of hair in the name of artistic expression qualifies as perfection either.. However I do believe that creating balance and shape that fits the individual needs of the client is very important regardless the way you go about it. Paying big money because a stylist has stamped themselves the guru for one reason or another and yet the client still walks out with an unintentional asymmetric hair cut, then that stylist needs to do some re-evaluation. 

Sorry for my bad english,

I am a big fan of precise geometric haircut. My haircut appointment is 1 to 1.5 hours. I like Stacey Broughton and Anna Eshwood absolute precision style. Many of my clients has a short hair. That is absolutely joy for me:) But in Serbia where I live and work most of woman has wavy, thick, dense type of hair.  For  most of them I like to use ALAN METHOD. Quick and easy way for concave layers. 

Branimir....I too, am a HUGE fan of Anna Eshwood.....she doesnt get the recognition that she deserves and is an absolutely excellent artist and haircutter......I wish she would somehow go more mainstream.....very talented young lady.....

RSS

© 2020   Created by Hb Official.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service